ruukinsauna-logo-retina

DALSBRUK'S HISTORY

Iron processing production is an integral to the history of Taalintehdas. Located in the Turku archipelago Dalsbruk factory began manufacturing iron in 1688. The Swedish Daniel's Faxell set up and all started with a simple blast furnace. From humble beginnings gradually developed into Finland's largest iron and steel works. The owners changed several times over the centuries. Dalsbruk factory´s number of employees was at its highest in 1976: 1 157 people. Last owner FNsteel filed for bankruptcy declaration in 2012. Business cycles are tossed about by iron processing, so that the light of history, iron processing production at Taalintehdas seems mainly to have passed from crisis to crisis.

History has extensive writings in finnish and swedish: here and here.

DALSBRUK FACTORY´S HOTEL SERVED VISITORS AND OFFICIALS

The end of the 1800's the factory staff amount was 600-700 workers and 25 officials. At that time in 1883 The Ruukki´s hotel were built based on needs of officials and travellers, which obtained a license to engage in the restaurant business. Original since been demolished's, Ruukki´s hotel was located in the park and guests as well as officials used park sauna for washing up. This park sauna was located next to the hotel at slag brick building. Sauna trail, visitors admired the Empress of latrines, which was built exclusively for Tsar Alexander III's spouse, Czarina Maria Feodorovna. Valued visitor couple visited Dalsbruk 1880 century, as
Russia was at that time still the main market for products that Taalintehdas provided. Empress' toilet is still there in the park and displayed in a museum tours.

Ruukin sauna puutarha-1
On the left the original since demolished Ruukki´s hotel and park sauna on the right. Front of the picture is the main road to Taalintehdas, as well as the parkway and factory workers planting.
Ruukin Sauna  Taalintehdas-1
Ruukki's Sauna in the park at the Taalintehdas was used by the factory officials at the beginning of the 1900's

PARK SAUNA

Slag brick building in the middle of Taalintehdas where old sauna lady, some said like sauna attendant, washed guests and officials. That is how it was done before. Hotel laundry washed also at the park sauna. At the park sauna on the 2nd floor this laundry was dried on interesting dry racks. Sauna building has been well maintained despite the change of ownership. Guests have had enough merit. Golden years have gone by and that´s the many certificates are telling about. The park around the sauna was once factory workers
allotment use.

BUILDINGS AT DALSBRUK

The sea shore slag brick coal stoves group is an impressive sight. Originally, there were 23 furnaces, which have been preserved in the Empire style building with a group of 12. The Old Ship beach also has a representative. Dalsbruk = Ruukki area of ​​old residential buildings provide a snapshot of the workers' living in the 1700's to the present day. In type of construction of the rarest examples of the late 1800's are the wooden houses. Slag brick coal stove area where also works Dalsbruk Ironworks Museum, which presents for example the old ways of working and has a scale model of the area. National Board of Antiquities has set a historic industrial area Taalintehdas of national significance built cultural environment and the aim is to develop the region as a tourist destination as well as an tourist attraction.

taalintehdas
For Taalintehdas working population wooden houses were built at the end of the 1800s to early 1900s.
taalintehdas2
In the habor of Taalintehdas at the Kimito island, has remained historic twelve industrial zone of slag brick coal furnace tight-knit group